Portland Headlight, Cape Elizabeth, Maine

PDF Print E-mail

PortlandHeadlight

The Light Searose to the Water Traditional View The Wild Side Searose Crevice At Low Tide From the Quiet Side Fences

Portland Headlight at Fort Williams in Cape Elizabeth was always Jean Henderson's favorite spot from the time she was a young girl on a Sunday afternoon trip. In those earlier days, Jean and her brother were able to run through the bunkers that remained opened. In June 1962 the fort was officially closed. When the Town of Cape Elizabeth purchased the fort in 1964, it almost immediately buried the bunkers under huge mounds of dirt. The lighthouse is located at the entrance to the Portland Harbor where its first building was completed in 1898.

In her film days Jean spent many, many hours there in all kinds of weather as the ocean is a great source of God's beauty and power for her. She made her home in Portland for the ten years previous to moving to Connecticut and considers Portland her "Soul City." Those images which appear in a black border have been exhibited.